Hidden in the midst of Kapolei is a jewel waiting to be discovered – Kapolei Public Library, shining with the promise of captivating programs for children and adults. Head librarian Liane Watanuki happily announced that pre-schoolers can visit the library for Play Mornings at 8 A.M. every Thursday morning during the month of January. They are able to play and learn with toys such as Leggo, puzzles, and discovery toys. On Saturday, January 26, starting at 10 A.M. the library will have an Amelia Bedelia Day with books and craft-making. During the months of February, March, and April toddlers and pre-schoolers may come for Story Time on Mondays and Thursdays starting at 10 A.M.
Here is a new and exciting benefit: members now can enjoy the library’s E-book program for free. Library cardholders can download E-books at the library or at home using the library’s website to search for, download, and even reserve the E-books. Watanuki says that the E-book craze has not dampened their services but has enhanced their status in the book community because of this available service. She added, “These downloads are compatible with the Nook, Kindle and iPad.” She also reminds the public that there is free Wi-Fi service available in the library.
Sheryl Lynch, the Adult Services Librarian, is proud to announce the coming arrival of a series of programs related to the American Civil War, entitled “Traveling Exhibition: Civil War 150,” sponsored by the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History. After the exhibition ends at the library, it will move to the West Oahu UH campus. The following events are scheduled for the exhibit:
- Monday January 28, 2013, 6:30 P.M. – Guest speaker (to be announced), Civil War Reenactors, Exhibition.
- Tuesday January 29, 6:30 P.M. – “Terrorist or Liberator? Old John Brown and Slavery” presented by Robert McGlone, author, UH Manoa Assoc. Prof.
- Saturday February 2, 10:30 A.M. – “The North vs. The South” by the Civil War Reenactors from the Hawaii Civil War Round Table
- Tuesday February 5, 6:30 P.M. – Book Discussion: Red Badge of Courage, with discussion leader Todd Sammons, UH Manoa Assoc. Prof
- Wednesday February 6, 6:30 P.M. – “This Cruel War: Strategic Concepts in the Civil War” presented by Justin W. Vance, HPU Asst. Prof.
- Saturday February 9, 10:30 A.M. – The Sons of the Civil War” presented by historians Nanette Napoleon and Anita Manning
Another feature of the Adult Services is their Adult Book Club which meets every first Monday of each month at 6:30 P.M. when the library is closed. Participants must register by calling Lynch at the library before attending the meetings. Phone: 693-7050. The library is located near the Kapolei Seagull School at 1020 Manawai Street, Kapolei, HI 96707. Hours are now M-S, 10 A.M.-5 P.M. until further notice.