1 pork butt (boneless) with some fat 3 to 4 lbs in weight, cut into bite-size pieces
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 packets ACHIOTE seasoning (Sazon Goya Brand Con Cilantro Achiote seasoning)
1 bunch cilantro (Chinese parsley) chopped
1/2 bell pepper, diced
2 cans tomato sauce plus two cans of water
1 can tomato paste
Sea Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
2 cans whole pitted olives, drain
3 to 4 Hawaiian chili peppers (optional)
In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp oil on medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and keep stirring until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add 2 small packets ACHIOTE seasoning (Sazon Goya Brand). Stir well.
- Add the pork, cover and simmer over medium heat until the pork release its natural juices and is completely browned.
- Next, add the chopped celery and bell pepper and stir.
- Season with sea salt and cracked pepper to your liking.
- Simmer just until celery softens.
- Add the chopped Chinese parsley and stir in the tomato sauce and tomato paste.
- Add carrots and potatoes, cover and continue to simmer until they are just about done.
- Add the whole pitted olives and simmer for 2 additional minutes.
- Turn off heat and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
This flavorful dish is easy to prepare and can be served with mac salad, steamed rice, or bread. Because it freezes well if potatoes are not fully cooked, remove portion to be frozen before potatoes soften. Enjoy!