Aloha, here is my recipe of a local style dish using huli huli chicken. “Huli” in Hawaiian means “turn over” which describes this chicken grilled on a spit rotated over a kiawe wood fire. I found that using the cooked huli huli chicken, which is available in most markets here, helps to save time in prepping the dish. I try my best to come up with different meals to feed my family, so they don’t get bored at dinner time. To prevent them from falling asleep at the table, I came up with this layered spinach and cheese concoction which they nicknamed “Yummy.” They enjoyed eating it as well as I enjoyed making it for them…hope you will, too.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and diced
- Dash of salt
- Cooked huli huli chicken, shredded (bacon may be substituted)
- 2-3 large flour or corn tortilla, or enough to cover the bottom of a baking pan
- 1 ½ cups any blend shredded cheese
- 3 cups fresh spinach, whole, chopped or torn
- Mix first four ingredients (eggs, milk, garlic, salt). Set aside.
- Spray or grease lightly bottom of baking dish.
- Lay tortilla on bottom of dish, press gently – does not have to flatten against sides.
- Sprinkle 1 cup cheese on tortilla.
- Add spinach onto tortilla, press gently.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over spinach.
- Top with cooked huli huli chicken.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes. When done, fork should be clean when inserted in center.
- Sprinkle the top with a little bit of paprika, then dig in!
Leave a Reply