Just got home today from Hilo, Hawaii. Enjoyed my ohana and their favorite dishes. Here is one of them – enjoy it!
Coconut Custard Bread Pudding
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1-1/2 loaves bread (older bread works well, too.)
- 2 cans coconut milk, add evaporated milk to make a total of 4 cups liquid
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stick real butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes, optional
- 3/4 cup raisins, optional
Cut bread into triangles. Pour coconut milk mixture over it and let sit for 3 minutes. Add sugar, butter, cinnamon, coconut extract and mix well. Pour into a well-greased pan (I prefer to use a glass baking dish.) and bake for 1-1/2 hours. Cut when warm and drizzle warm pancake syrup over the slices. Heat syrup in microwave for 15-20 seconds. The syrup will thin when warmed. Syrup is optional, but I don’t serve and eat it any other way! Enjoy!