Jean Nishi, student activities coordinator for Nanakuli and Intermediate School, reports, “Here’s what’s been happening in November and December.”
- Nanakuli Interact Club members volunteered at the Patriot Glow Star 5K Run at Barber’s Point on Saturday, November 9, 2013. We all had a lot of fun cheering on the runners!
- A successful blood drive was held on our campus on Wednesday, November 13, 2013, with students, faculty, staff and members of the community donating much needed blood to help the Blood Bank of Hawaii maintain an adequate supply of blood for the holidays. Our next blood drive is scheduled for Wednesday, January 15, 2014.
- Our annual canned food drive and faculty vs. student volleyball game was held on Monday, November 18, 2013. At this event, each grade level had to build towers using the donated cans. All the cans were delivered to Nanaikapono Protestant Church for distribution to the needy through their outreach program. Also, the teachers put up a valiant fight in the volleyball game, but they lost to the students for the second year in a row. The teachers vow to be ready for the students next year!
- On Wednesday, November 20, 2013, Nanakuli Interact Club and students from Mrs. Campbell’s classes participated in traffic safety sign-waving with HPD after school in front of Nanakuli McDonald’s. Signs encouraged motorists to: slow down, buckle up, drive with aloha, not drink and drive, and not text and drive.
- Our next sign-waving event will be on Thursday, December 12, 2013, at Nanakuli Beach Park from 3:30-4:30 p.m. by the “Live and Let Live” car wreck display.
- Nanakuli Interact Club was represented at the Thanksgiving luncheon for homeless veterans hosted by Kapolei Rotary Club on Saturday, November 23, 2013. Veterans were served a wonderful meal and invited to help themselves to various donated items such as clothing and toiletries.
- We will have our annual Brown Bags to Stardom talent contest on Monday, December 9, 2013. We are looking forward to seven intermediate acts and eleven high school acts. The winners from each division will go on to represent our school in the statewide finals in the spring.
- The ukulele, chorus and band students are busy preparing for their Winter Concert to be held on Thursday, December 12, 2013, at 6:30 p.m. in the B Building courtyard. It’s free and open to the public!
- This year’s Holiday Door Decorating Contest is ongoing until Friday, December 13, 2013, when the doors will be judged. This year’s theme is “12 Days of Christmas, Nanakuli Style.” Student Government will be awarding prizes to the winners as well as goodies to all participating classes.
- The final exam week will run from Tuesday, December 17, 2013, through Friday, December 20, 2013. There will be a special bell schedule for these days.
- Winter break starts on Monday, December 23, 2013, and continues through Friday, January 3, 2014. Monday, January 6, 2014, will be a Teacher Work Day with no students. Students report back to school on Tuesday, January 7, 2014.
- On Monday, January 27, 2014, the 7th and 8th graders will have a special assembly with Frank Delima.
Leave a Reply