Home Breaking Nanakuli High and Intermediate School Fall 2012 Bulletin
- JV Football team is the 2012 OIA JV Champions for the White Division.
- Varsity Football team lost in the semi-final game this past weekend to Lahainaluna. If they won, they would have played in the White Division championship Thanksgiving weekend.
- Other fall sports including: girls volleyball, cheerleading, bowling, cross country, and JV softball had awesome seasons as well.
- Winter sports just getting underway include: boys and girls basketball, boys and girls soccer, paddling, and wrestling.
- Students from Mrs. Campbell’s Social Studies classes as well as Interact Club members have participated in 4 traffic safety sign-waving events in our Nanakuli community. These events were organized by Nanakuli McDonald’s and HPD, and reminded motorists to: slow down, not text while driving, not drink and drive, cage the rage, watch out for pedestrians, share the road, etc.
- In October, Student Government organized a clothing drive at school which netted over 1000 articles of clothing which were donated to the homeless veterans organization in Kalaeloa and distributed at a weekend event feeding the homeless on the Leeward beaches.
- On November 16th, Student Government held our school’s annual canned food drive. This event was combined with a faculty vs student volleyball game and a tower building contest using the donated canned goods. This year, we collected 359 canned goods and $27.84 in monetary donations which will be converted into gift cards from Sack n Save. All canned goods and gift cards will be delivered to selected churches in our community in time for Thanksgiving.
Clubs and Organizations
- Nanakuli’s Interact Club has been very busy this school year with 2 carwashes held at the Waianae Store (mahalo to Mr. Chris Okimoto!) in September and October. They volunteered at the Hawaiian Railway Society’s annual Spookapalooza event for Halloween, participated in an all-day leadership event with other Leeward District Interact Clubs, and are currently working on a cookbook to raise money for Polio research.
- Best Buddies is a new club on campus this year. Peer buddies from regular education are paired with buddies from special education. This club is still signing up buddies and will soon have a “matching party”. A Winter Wonder Dance is scheduled for all Best Buddies clubs on Oahu on Saturday, December 1st at Kapolei High School.
- Approximately 30 Student Ambassadors selected from grades 9-12 meet weekly with representatives from The Center for Tomorrow’s Leaders to learn leadership skills. It is hoped that each of these students will share what they learn and create a “ripple effect” with others stepping up and becoming great leaders, too.
- Nanakuli’s Performing Arts Club (NPAC) just completed a weekend of “Legacy” performances at the Pearl City Cultural Center. Their next event is on Thursday, November 29th when they perform holiday favorites at the Ala Moana Shopping Center’s Center Stage at 7:00 p.m.
- Other clubs on campus include: Robotics, Science Club, Sabre and Chain (JROTC) Club, Makahiki Club, Polynesian Club, Health Occupations and Professions Exploration (HOPE) Club, National Honor Society, and SWAG (Save with Amazing Grace) Club. All have been busy with various activities this year.
- Student Government organized a building decorating contest for Halloween. Each grade level was assigned a building to decorate. It was an amazing sight to see our campus covered with spider webs, tombstones, ghosts and goblins. There was also a costume contest during lunch.
- Student Government encouraged the student body to pledge to be drug-free during Red Ribbon Week which was October 22-26 with various activities during lunch in the cafeteria. There was a trivia game, entertainment, red ribbons to wear, and banners to sign to pledge to be drug-free.
- The Health Occupations students are working with the Blood Bank of Hawaii to organize our school’s Blood Drive on Wednesday, November 28th from 7:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. in room C-113. The public is welcome to come by to donate a pint of much needed blood for this holiday season when there is a high demand for blood donors.
- Student Government will be hosting a Christmas door decorating contest to take place right after we return from Thanksgiving. There will be prizes for the winners, as well as goodies for all classes that participate.
- Last day of 2nd quarter/1st semester is Friday, December 14th. Winter break is from Monday, December 17th through Wednesday, January 2nd. Students return to school on Thursday, January 3rd.