June means Summer Reading at the Hawaii State Public Library System, and the Waianae Public Library has lots to share. Online registration begins on May 23, 2017. Visit the library website (www.librarieshawaii.org) for details. The following programs are scheduled for May and June:
- SENIOR LEGAL ISSUES AND PUBLIC BENEFITS, May 31, 6:30 P.M. Russ Awakuni and Robert Topenio of the Legal Aid Society will provide information regarding common legal matters for senior citizens. Public benefits, suitable for ages 18 and older, will also be discussed.
- DISCOVERING AND GROWING HEALTH-PROMOTING HAWAIIAN PLANTS, June 1 and June 8, 10:30 A.M. Naturopathic physician Dr. Susanna Reid will present history of these plants in Hawaii and show plant samples.
- READING PROGRAM, TODDLER TIME (0-3 years), June 6, 13, 20, 27 and July 11, 9:30 A.M.
- READING PROGRAM, FAMILY STORY TIME (Pre-K & up), June 3, 17, 24 and July 1, 8, 15, 10:30A.M.
- READING PROGRAM, Gr. K-5, Thursdays at 2:30 P.M.: June 8 – Moana Sing Along, June 15 – Captain Underpants Party, June 22 – Lego Batman Movie, June 29 – Tails of Kindness (Hawaiian Humane Society), July 6 -Trash Tower Challenge, July 13 – DIY School Supplies.
- NENE AWARD BOOK CLUB, Gr. 4-6, June 21, 2:30 P.M.
- LA’AU LAPA’AU, June 17, 2:00 P.M. – Ku’u Samson, born and raised in Waianae, will introduce the Hawaiian practice of using plants and herbs to treat ailments. She began her career at MA’O Organic Farms and now can be found at Ho ‘Aina o Makaha. She is a Hawaiian Studies graduate student at UH Manoa.
- HAWAIIAN DIGITAL RESOURCES, a 3-part series: Ulukau – Hawaiian Electronic Library, June 14 @ 6:30 P.M.; Papakilo Database, July 8 @2:00 P.M.; and Hula Preservation Society, Huapala (Hawaiian Lyrics and Hula Archive), AVA Konohiki (Ancestral Visions of ‘Aina), August 14 @ 10:00 A.M.
- BE YOU. BE KU, June 24, 2:00 P.M. Daniel Aipa, founder of the Ku Project, will explain the integration of physical fitness and health with the Hawaiian culture.
Sheryl Lynch, Branch Manager
Waianae Public Library, 697-7868