Nanakuli High & Intermediate School update as told by Jean Nishi, advisor and coordinator for student activities:
Hi, here’s what is going on at Nanakuli High & Intermediate School (NHIS)….
NHIS held its Welcome Back Assembly on Monday, August 19, in the school gym. All the administrators, class head advisors, student leaders and new teachers were introduced. The new teachers played a relay game involving finding their shoes in a pile of everyone else’s shoes, putting them on, and then running across the gym floor to tag their next team member. This was a lot of fun for everyone to watch , and we thank all the new teachers for being such great sports! We also played “Gimme Gimme” with the entire student body and were entertained by the football teams doing a haka, as well as by our very talented student Bailey Barnes who sang a special song. The theme for this opening assembly was “We Are Nanakuli,” and we will use this theme to guide us in all our activities this year. It is our hope that by fostering pride in ourselves and our community, we will become a strong team at working toward a common goal of seeking the highest in all we do.
Nanakuli Performing Arts Center (NPAC) has its first production of the 2013-2014 school year coming up. “Shout! The Mod Musical” will be performed in the NHIS Multi-Purpose Building on the following dates: September 13, 14, 20, and 21 at 7:00 P.M.; September 15 and 22 at 3:00 P.M.; and September 18 at 4:30 P.M. Tickets for adults are $10 pre-sale and $13 at the door; high school students and younger people are $5. For more information go to www.nhispac.com or call Robin Kitsu at 668-5823, extension 256.
Homecoming Week is September 23-27. This year’s theme is “Big, Bold,Forever Black and Gold.” Events for the week include dress-up days and games which earn points for the various grade levels:
- Monday (hosted by the seniors) is Cartoon Day and the “Gimme Gimme” game.
- Tuesday (hosted by the juniors) is Sports Day and a Sports Trivia Game and Obstacle Course.
- Wednesday (hosted by the sophomores) is Oldies Day with a Dance Battle to the beat of oldies songs.
- Thursday (hosted by the freshmen) is Holiday Day and the Name That Tune game.
- Friday is our pep rally to welcome home our alumni, introduce the homecoming court, and to cheer our football boys on to victory in their games against the Pearl City Chargers that evening. We will have a parade coming up Nanakuli Avenue at 4:00 P.M. The JV game is at 5:00 P.M. and the Varsity game follows. During half-time in the Varsity game, we will present our Homecoming Court:
King and Queen – Alika Kealoha and Keanani Chai
Mr. and Ms. Golden Hawk – Kevin Bechayda and Nohealani Benicario
Senior Escort and Attendant – Dostyn Kama and Branielle Young-Valarde
Junior Escort and Attendant – Shelden Ala-Peahi and Aliyah Bellefeuille
Sophomore Escort and Attendant – Kaiili Ola Aipoalani-Scanlan and Shailee Abang-Pinero
Freshman Escort and Attendant – Stanford Garcia-Diamond and Sadie Giron
8th Grade Escort and Attendant – Jensen Wills-Ching and Rayna Santiago
7th Grade Escort and Attendant – Braiden Esperas and Kezra Pa`e